Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sir Tow-Mater


There is the most poignant moment in the new Cars 2 film, which I've just returned home from seeing with Mom. Without spoiling it, all I will say is, it's about the importance of keeping our "dents" and imperfections as reminders of who we are and where we come from. It also reminded me of the importance of friendships, and how bruised and dented they can become during misunderstandings. I went to a close friend's church today (a beautiful historic, Methodist church where she was becoming a member during the service) and the sermon brought up the ancient meaning of the word peculiar:
As used in the phrase "peculiar people" in Pet 2:9, is derived from the Lat. peculium , and denotes, as rendered in the Revised Version ("a people for God's own possession"), a special possession or property. The church is the "property" of God, his "purchased possession" (Eph 1:14; R.V., "God's own possession").
I think it's amazing how hearing something in certain situations (and perhaps when your heart is open) can change the way you view it. I hated the word peculiar before the service, and now I strive to be peculiar. Being peculiar means doing senseless acts of kindness which is what Christ modeled and desires for Christians. I will be peculiar in my friendships (doing my part to forgive a friend who hurt me and trying harder to see her perspective, too, and how I may have hurt her) and value my peculiar friends even more. Especially my very peculiar friend (who gracefully shares and celebrates her life "dents" with me) who was making a bold commitment before God and man today. In a way, I felt as if I was attending her marriage ceremony to God and the church. She never looked more radiant or beautiful to me. Sort of like "Sir" Tow-Mater, at the end of Cars 2. But you'll have to see it to appreciate the meaning of that reference.

1 comment:

  1. You are my peculiar friend. Thank you for your support today (and everyday). This post brought tears to my eyes. Now, I need to go and see this movie.

    ReplyDelete